So can I use my Twisp indoors?
So we’ve all been part of a debate around e-cigarettes and whether or not they should be permitted indoors and in public spaces… but have you stopped to really think about why they should/ shouldn’t? Our take on the issue is that they do not emit harmful smoke, tar or carbon monoxide that are found in traditional cigarettes, so as long as you are courteous and aware of those around you –what’s the down side?
Here are a couple of facts to back up this viewpoint:
- Twisping simulates the smoking experience by producing a flavourful vapour from a blend of internationally sourced natural or nature identical ingredients and pharmaceutical grade nicotine.
- Twisp vapour is odourless and dissipates within seconds. It does not linger, nor does it cause discolouration to walls – unlike cigarette smoke. It doesn’t give you ‘smokers breath’ or leave your hands and clothes smelling of cigarettes either.
At present, Twisp devices may be used anywhere in South Africa unless otherwise stated. However don’t forget that venues reserve the right to prohibit e-cigarette use –essentially placing them in a category similar to conventional cigarettes.
The fact that e-cigarettes are an effective alternative to smoking has been reiterated by the UK National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), whose guidelines state that considering e-cigs deliver nicotine without the harmful toxins of tobacco smoke, they are a safer alternative to smoking.
Regardless of which side of the fence you sit on, it is important to respect those around you, especially while enjoying your Twisp in a public space. So we have come up with a few guidelines around the appropriate Twisp etiquette.
Here are five dos for Twisping indoors:
- DO be discreet – the aim is to create a positive perception around e-cigarettes so that those who want to Twisp can, and those who don’t want to, don’t feel affected negatively in any way.
- DO know the difference between public Twisping and public cloud chasing. Cloud chasing is essentially vaping/ Twisping like a dragon, or blowing out large amounts of vapour. When in public it is advisable to be aware of who is around you; refrain from Twisping overtly when in the middle of a group of people or in a closed space. Learn the art of stealth-twisping for certain situations.
- DO be aware – yes, you may be able to Twisp in most malls, airports or restaurants but it is up to each individual establishment to create their own rules around Twisping. Be aware of the rules in relation to e-cigarettes in different venues and follow them.
- DO ask – show consideration when at a restaurant or with people who are not users and ask if they mind. This is also a great way to spark conversation and educate those who don’t understand exactly what e-cigarettes are.
- DO be ready to explain the technology and dispel the many myths circulating that make people uncomfortable. Much of this information is in our FAQ, Blog and facebook page.
Twisp in the workplace
Most employees who smoke spend at least an hour of each day away from their desk on a so-called “smoke break,”which also involves walking to and from a remote spot outside the office. In fact, a study in the U.S. suggests that businesses pay almost $6, 000 (approx. R65, 600) extra each year for each employee who smokes compared to the average cost to company for non-smokers.
Let us know tips you’d add to this list –we’d love to hear from you.