Frequent Answered Questions
Atomizer Head (Coil)
Always read the User Manual that comes with your Twisp Starter Pack as this covers all the particulars as well as set up for your specific device.
The following is a general guide to start vaping with your Twisp device. The basic anatomy of our pen style devices consists of a Battery, a Tank and an Atomizer Head.
To begin, attach the Atomizer Head to either the Tank or to the Battery, depending on the device. Then connect the Tank to the battery. Do not use the device without a full Tank of e-liquid.
To switch on your device, press the Smart Power Button 5 times rapidly, do the same to switch off the device.
When screwing closed your tank, ensure it is only finger tight. Over tightening can damage the seals and threads and cause leaking. Ensure the threads of the Tank and Battery are aligned before tightening as this can also damage your device. Ensure the parts are lined up, turn it anti-clockwise until you hear a click then screw it in clockwise.
When using a fresh Atomizer Head, always wait 5 minutes for the Coil to prime before use. If you do not want to wait five minutes after fitting a new Atomizer Head, you can first prime your Atomizer Head with a few drops of liquid.
Difference Between MTL & STL:
What is MTL vaping?
Mouth to Lung Vaping is as it sounds - vapour is drawn into your mouth first, before inhaling. Take a long draw and let your mouth fill with vapour, then without the use of your device, inhale again drawing the extra air in. This type of use is more common with lower power devices using higher nicotine strength liquids and approximates the same kind of throat hit one gets from smoking cigarettes. Which makes it the ideal starting point for those giving up cigarette smoking.
What is STL vaping?
Straight to Lung, is like taking a deep breath. It enables vapour to be directly inhaled. This method also produces a larger volume of dense vapour. Lower nicotine level Twisp Flavours should be used (Orange by Twisp), as the Direct Inhale method is associated with sub-ohm use and higher vapour temperatures. This is also referred to as Straight to Lung (STL).
Place a few drops of e-liquid onto the top of the Atomizer Head, and a few drops onto any of the exposed wicking (the white woven material). Attach the primed Atomizer Head to your device, fill up your Tank and in 60 seconds you’ll be able to start enjoying the Twisp life. To extend the life of the Atomizer Head, always start your new Atomizer Head with a lower power setting, if your device supports this function.
Each Twisp device has a different design and method for refilling. Please refer to your User Manual or search the Knowledge Base with your device name in the search criteria.
To refill your Tank you can either take the Tank off the Battery, or undo the top section of the Tank to reveal your device’s fill ports. Never fill the Tank through the center, only through the dedicated fill ports - consult your User Manual if you are unsure where the fill ports are on your device.
For our MTL style devices use our 50/50 VG/PG liquids (Fresh, Signature, Limited Edition, Origin, Zero or Pure), for the larger STL devices use our 70/30 VG/PG liquids (Orange by Twisp).
The wrong type of liquid will hamper the Atomizer Head’s performance - so keep this in mind when purchasing your liquids!
- Never let your Tank reach low flavour levels.
- Atomizer Head wicks that are dry can burn out. Keep the entire wicking hole submerged, or at least 75%.
Check your Tank level if you start to experience a decrease in flavour or a dry hit.
When your device notifies you of a low charge the easiest way to recharge is with an appropriate wall adapter or computer and the included micro - usb cable that came with your device. Charging with a non twisp charger is not recommended. A computer, or laptop, is the easiest way to charge. A name brand cellphone charger will also do the job perfectly.
It is possible to damage your device if a charger is used that delivers a higher voltage than the supported 5V. All Twisp devices have charging circuits and protections in place, which essentially means that if a device is designed to charge at a maximum of 1 Amp, it will only draw 1Amp even if a 2 Amp charger is used. However, if a voltage higher than 5V is used, it will damage the devices electronics. Sometimes low grade electronics in chargers can fail and/or can damage your device. It is for these reasons that we recommend using our chargers.
Using a Twisp wall adapter or USB port not exceeding 5V, plug your device in by means of the USB cable provided. We recommend:
- Do not leaving charging devices unattended for long periods of time.
- Do not leave devices on charge for longer than needed.
- Do not charge or leave your Twisp's battery in your car if it's hot out.
- We also recommend not using a device while on charge as this can affect the lifespan of the battery.
Atomizer Head Change:
Always read the instructions that came with your Twisp device as it will cover all the particulars, and set up of your specific device.
Atomizer Heads wear out over time and will need replacing when vapour production diminishes. If you get a burnt flavour ensure that your Atomizer Tank is filled sufficiently. If this continues, replace the Atomizer Head. A tell tale sign that an Atomizer Head might need replacing, is when new liquid darkens immediately, when a tank is refilled, and it comes into contact with the old Atomizer Head.
Can I clean my Atomizer Head?
No this is not recommended as it is not effective nor practical. Water should never be used on a Atomizer Head as it is near impossible to dry out a Atomizer Head. The best practice is to use one Atomizer Head with one flavour and keep the Atomizer Head saturated and use it until it has worn out.
It is recommended to generally keep your device clean for optimal operation. There is no set routine, but one can as a general rule clean out any areas in the air flow path where residual liquid, condensation or residues can collect (Tank, Mouthpiece, Air Chimney and Air Vent areas), whenever changing over to a new Atomizer Head. This can also be done with every flavour change, it all depends on which you do least often - cleaning should not be needed on a regular basis. Note: keep an eye on liquid build up in the Atomizer Base, by the air vents. If liquid has collected here, clean it out to prevent it leaking. If this happens often check your seals and make sure your Atomizer Head is screwed in properly. Also take care to not let the air vents and atomizer base get clogged with dirt, lint, dust or grit.
Always read the instructions that came with your Twisp device as it will cover all the particulars, and set up of your specific device.
- Some tank components can be disassembled and cleaned with alcohol or water, but please make sure parts are dry before use.
- Twisp’s cleaning kit comes standard with cleaning swabs, bristle brushes and alcohol wipes which are perfectly suited to help soak up, brush away and wipe away e-liquid and build ups.
- We recommend you clean out the air vent, atomizer base, mouthpiece and central air channel with every tank refill.
- Wipe your seals and make sure they are clean before reassembling
- Keep your air vents free from dirt, grime, grit and liquids.
- Never expose the electronics or batteries to any liquid.
Here are a few ways to keep your lithium-ion batteries healthy:
- Keep your batteries at room temperature: That means between 20 and 25 degrees C. The worst thing that can happen to a lithium-ion battery is to have a full charge and be subjected to elevated temperatures. So don't leave or charge your Twisp's battery in your car if it's hot out. Heat is by far the largest factor when it comes to reducing lithium-ion battery life.
- Allow partial discharges and avoid full ones (Usually): Unlike NiCad batteries, lithium-ion batteries do not have a charge memory. That means deep-discharge cycles are not required. In fact, it's better for the battery to use partial-discharge cycles. There is one exception. Battery experts suggest that after 30 charges, you should allow lithium-ion batteries to almost completely discharge. Continuous partial discharges create a condition called digital memory, decreasing the accuracy of the device's power gauge. So let the battery discharge to the cut-off point and then recharge. The power gauge will be recalibrated.
- Avoid completely discharging lithium-ion batteries: If a lithium-ion battery is discharged below 2.5 volts per cell, a safety circuit built into the battery opens and the battery appears to be dead. The original charger will be of no use. Only battery analysers with the boost function have a chance of recharging the battery. Also, for safety reasons, do not recharge deeply discharged lithium-ion batteries if they have been stored in that condition for several months.
- For extended storage, discharge lithium-ion battery to about 40% and store in a cool place: Avoid storing batteries fully charged. Storing a battery fully charged means oxidation of lithium-ion is at its highest rate. Storing lithium-ion batteries at 40 percent is recommended with occasional top ups every 6-12 months, to prevent them from being fully discharged (useful to set a reminder).
- Keep out of reach of children.
- CAUTION: Smart Atomizer Tanks contains a magnetic base which may affect pacemakers or other similar implanted devices.
- Avoid over tightening any of the connections. Finger tight is perfect.
- If you get a burnt flavour ensure that your Atomizer Tank is filled sufficiently. If this continues, replace Atomizer Head.
- Only have your Twisp product repaired by authorised Twisp personnel. Do not attempt to repair the unit by yourself as damage or personal injury may occur.
- Do not leave Twisp devices containing a battery in high temperatures or damp conditions, as this may damage the battery. The appropriate operating temperatures are: within 0 °C and 45 °C while charging and -10 °C and 60 °C while in use.
- We recommend combining the your Twisp device, Twisp supported Atomizer Heads, Spares and Accessories for optimal results. Safety and reliable performance cannot be guaranteed if combined with parts from other electronic products or brands of e-cigarettes. If damaged in this way, Twisp will not take responsibility and your warranty will be void.
- Please refer to all relevant Atomizer user manuals and use as directed, or safety and reliable performance cannot be guaranteed. Twisp will not take responsibility and your warranty will be void if used in any way other than directed.
- Discontinue use and discard Battery if: it gives off an odour, leaks, generates its own heat, becomes discoloured or deformed, or appears abnormal in any way.
- Treat device gently, do not drop or subject to high pressure, impacts, extreme temperatures or humidity.
- Do not leave charging batteries unattended, or charge beyond the recommended period. Always charge batteries away from flammable materials.
- Always read the instructions that came with your Twisp device as it will cover all the particulars, and set up of your specific device.
WHY SMOKE, WHEN YOU CAN VAPE?
Whether you’re new to Twisping or a regular smoker looking to make the switch, Twisp® is without a doubt the smarter, safer and eco-friendly alternative. With Twisp®, you can enjoy a true smoking experience, without any smoke, burn or tobacco, which means that no tar, carbon monoxide or smoke particulates are present. Which is not only good news for you, but also for those around you and the environment.
ADVANTAGES OF TWISP
- A safer alternative to smoking.
- No tar, carbon monoxide or smoke particles.
- No smell of smoke and ash.
- No cigarette butts or boxes to litter.
- No first or secondhand smoke.
- Increased work productivity.
- A wide range of exciting flavours.
Read further here (ETS):http://www.twisp.co.za/goodbye-secondary-cigarette-smoke/
WHY THE WORLD IS SWITCHING TO VAPING
1. “Vaping is not smoking” – direct quotation from ruling in New York Court
- Burning of tobacco creates thousands of chemicals, with much higher risk of cancer and other diseases.
- Vaping provides a safer alternative to smoking as it delivers a similarly effective dose of nicotine without the adverse effects of burning tobacco or inhaling smoke.
- As such, vaping provides a tobacco and smoke-free alternative to traditional cigarette smoking, whilst considerably reducing your daily spend from smoking.
Source: “An electronic cigarette neither burns nor contains tobacco,” the court noted. “Instead, the use of such a device, which is commonly referred to as ‘vaping’, involves the inhalation of vaporized e-cigarette liquid consisting of water, nicotine, a base of propylene glycol or vegetable glycerine and occasionally, flavouring.”
2. “Vaping is 95% safer than cigarettes” – direct quotation from Public Health England
- “The main finding of a 2015 evidence review carried out by Public Health England found e-cigarettes to be 95% less harmful than tobacco. “
- An expert independent evidence review by Public Health England (PHE) concludes that e-cigarettes are significantly less harmful to health than tobacco and have the potential to help smokers quit smoking.
Source: Public Health England press office: E-cigarettes: an evidence update
3. Vaping Aerosol does not harm bystander like cigarette smoke
- Of the three main causes of mortality from smoking, lung cancer arises primarily from direct exposure of the lungs to carcinogens in tobacco smoke.
- The main culprit is smoke and, if nicotine could be delivered effectively and acceptably to smokers without smoke, most if not all of the harm of smoking could probably be avoided.
- It also confirmed the findings of PHE’s 2014 independent evidence review, that there is no evidence of harm to bystanders from exposure to e-cigarette vapour and the risks to their health are likely to be extremely low.
UKCTAS commentary on WHO report on electronic nicotine delivery systems electronic non-nicotine delivery systems. - 26/10/16
The section on risks of second-hand exposure to ENDS aerosol provides no evidence that such exposures pose any material risks to bystanders. The claim that ENDS have the “potential to lead to adverse health effects” in bystanders does not reflect the science behind the cited source….”Source: 2016 Nicotine without smoke Tobacco harm reduction. A report by the Tobacco Advisory Group of the Royal College of Physicians. Nicotine without smoke Tobacco harm reduction - A report by the Tobacco Advisory Group of the Royal College of Physicians
2013 Variability on Electronic Cigarette Use. Experience: An Internet Survey Konstantinos E. Farsalinos, Giorgio Romagna, Dimitris Tsiapras, Stamatis Kyrzopoulos, Alketa Spyrou and Vassilis Voudris
4. E-cigarettes are much easier to quit smoking than NRTs
- “We know that e-cigarettes are the most popular quitting tool in the country with more than 10 times as many people using them than using local stop smoking services.”
- “Users claim that e-cigs help them stop smoking entirely (38 per cent) or reduce the amount they smoke (25 per cent)”
- “significant health benefits are expected in smokers who switch from tobacco to e-cigs”